Sunday, March 24, 2013

On the Road Again 3/24/13

 
At the Children's Home, there are three vehicles, and two drivers.  The bus is used when the children go to church, and occasionally for my school.  Sometimes they break down.  Thankfully, one of the drivers is a mechanic.
 
This week has been exciting.  One of the drivers hit one of the poles holding the cover over the cars, so it collapsed. They have removed it now.  I don't know if they will build it again.
Today, one driver is in the capital, Bujumbura.  The other one is sick.  So, I am driving the white truck.  I'm not sure anyone else knows how to drive manuals.  Unfortunately, the kids didn't make it to church because there was no one to drive the bus.  A couple weeks ago, I drove the yellow truck to school a couple weeks ago.  Jen lovingly calls it the Booger. 
 
So far today, I've driven to school for Chapel, then I drove Allen to the taxi station, and a student and house mother for some tests at the hospital.  I'll head out soon to pick up the student and house mother and take them back to the school.
 
Because of the rough roads, I drive in 2nd gear most of the time, or slower than 25mph.  I'm glad I can drive a little before returning home.  I'm really glad they drive on the right side of the road here.  Sometimes, the steering wheel is on the right side of the vehicle like JR's van.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me an e-mail or send me a post request: