Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Friendship Masterpieces 03-08-13

Friday afternoon I generally teach English club.  I have all the students for about an hour and fifteen minutes, and we do an activity that encourages the student's English skills.  This Friday, for part of the celebration of Women's Day, a girls soccer match was scheduled afterschool at 4pm. 

At about 4pm, a pretty good rain storm hit, delaying the soccer match.  Most of the staff had gone home.  I was locked out of the staff room, but I was lucky...one of the windows was open.  So, in the pouring rain, I managed to climb in through the window in my purple skirt and grab my yarn.  Most of the girls in the school were in the science room, anxiously waiting to make friendship bracelets. 

Once in the room, I had a cluster of girls around me saying, "Me!" as I handed out string.  I've taught the kids at the Children's Home to say, "Please."  But, I've heard there isn't a Kirundi word for "please."  Some of the kids at the Children's Home will say, "Give me."  I think I'm going to start a sign up sheet for cutting yarn in the future.  I used to allow the girls to cut their own, but there was yarn left on the floor, most of them don't know how long to cut the string for the different patterns, and sometimes they don't know how many colors or strings they need.  So, sometimes yarn is wasted, but sometimes the bracelets are too short too!  I think my biggest expenses here are yarn and phone minutes, outside of food, lodging and transportation. 

The girls are surprised when I tell them that the yarn is from a Gitega market booth.  I can't find knitting needles or crochet hooks, but thank goodness there is thin yarn!  I may buy some bamboo skewers for knitting needles.  The girls have learned so many different friendship bracelets that it's getting to the point it's hard to teach them because the patterns are more advanced.  If I find time, I think I'll write and draw up instructions and put them in the science room.  I'm delighted they want to learn, but I also hope it doesn't take away from their studies too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me an e-mail or send me a post request: