Monday, December 17, 2012

What Can a Cab Driver Do?

When I was in college, I was introduced to the organization Project Cure.  Project Cure goes to countries and evaluates what medical equipment or supplies clinics or hospitals need.  Then, Project Cure collects donated medical supplies and equipment, organizes it, and ships it to the clinics and hospitals all around the world.

I started volunteering with Project Cure sorting supplies, but later was involved with loading the containers.  The first container helped load was bound for Somaliland.  A number of men were there from Somaliland helping.  They were so excited they videotaped loading the container.  The shipment probably contained over $250,000 of medical supplies, and at that time, was about $10,000 to ship.  A cab driver that moved to the U.S. from Somaliland had saved up his money to pay for the shipment! 

Ever heard of Somaliland?  Perhaps you have heard of Somalia?  Somaliland is the northwestern tip of Somalia.  It's self governed and claims to be its own country, but it's not recognized as a country by most of the international community.  It's been independent since...1991???  This is one of the many things I have found fascinating about Africa, and one of the stories I can share with you that motivates me to go on this upcoming journey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somaliland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me an e-mail or send me a post request: