Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Beads 5/22/13

This term, I've been teaching beading in Arts and Crafts.  I brought the beads with me from America.  At one of the airports coming out here, they inspected my carryon because of the beads.
 
I haven't been able to use the beads until now.  I did not bring enough string with me, and it's been difficult finding string and other supplies for the bracelets.
 
At the end of last term, one of the girls brought me a bracelet.  The bracelet was made with thin fishing line, and was designed so that the bracelet could stretch over someone's hand and fit comfort on the wrist.  Like many bracelets I see here, it was black, and was decorated with colors from the Burundi flag.
 
 
 
So, this term we started by planning the bracelets on paper.  I shouldn't have been surprised when the girls planned to make black bracelets with white writing and mini flags.  Creativity is something we are working on, and it's one of the goals of the school. 
 
The girls have done well at beading and have been anxious.  I expected to spend a lot of time teaching how to do the beading and untangling knots.  Instead, a lot of effort goes into set up, clean up, and managing the beads.  Some of the beads have been stolen, so now I only let them bead during Arts and Crafts time.  I keep the projects and materials. 
 
Some people steal here and at times it has been very frustrating.  It is apart of the culture.  But, I have to keep telling myself that's one reason I'm needed here.  Our school promotes excellence, integrity, leadership and faith.  Hopefully our students will have those qualities when they graduate and that will help Burundi and future generations.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me an e-mail or send me a post request: