Monday, October 21, 2013

Primary School Opening 10-21-13


I've mentioned in previous posts the building of a new Youth for Christ primary school.  Youth for Christ opened their second primary school, Future Hope School in Cibitoke.  I was able to attend the opening ceremony along with other YFC staff.  At the ceremony, there were drummers.  Burundi is famous for their drumming, and this was my first real opportunity to see them! 

Youth for Christ rented tents for guests to sit under during the presentation.  All the children were all lined up neatly outside their classrooms.  I attempted to run by the kids and give them high fives, but the kids didn't know how to give high fives!  Whoops.





JR with some of the local children outside the school's gate.

For the occasion, YFC rented special outfits for female staff.

The new computer lab at the school!

During the ceremony, the classes did different presentations.  The kids learn primarily in French, like other schools in Burundi.  The kids also learn the local language, Kirundi, and English.  English is taught by two women from Uganda, and one from South Carolina.  The primary supporter of the children's home and school is a group in Australia called Villages of Life.  About six people from Australia came for the opening ceremony.  The second kid in the video is shouting, "My name is Nicole Ninziza.  I am in grade 2.  My school is Future Hope School.  I appreciate your support for my future.  Thank you very much."


So, thank you!  With your help, I was able to give colored pencils to each classroom, some pencils, sharpeners and staplers to the school and children's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me an e-mail or send me a post request: